Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Discover Boise State






Yesterday was the Discover Boise State college tour that Sage attended.  That's her, just below the girl in the red jacket.  We met up in the Jordan Ball Room with a gazillion other high school kids who are considering Boise State for their college experience.

It was an interesting day for sure.  We were in Group #9 and our tour guide was Rebecca.  That's her in the bottom left corner, holding the phone.  She is a sophomore from Washington State and a really nice girl.  She told the kids about a lot of the perks of being at BSU and...gulp...of living on campus.

The tour was nice.  She showed us some of the most important things, like student information, where to eat, where the library is, how to activate the emergency response beacons on campus, some of the study suites, where to get help with your electronic devices, etc. and then we were on to the dorms.  Up to this point I had really be feeling quite fine about the whole Sage-is-a-big-girl-and-now-needs-to-go-to-college thing but then we entered the dorms.  They are nasty!  The walls are thin, the carpet is threadbare and the whole place was FILTHY!  I'm not sure what the appeal to living in the dorms is, other than the obvious, I'm-now-a-grown-up-and-I'll-make-all-my-own-rules thing.  Sick.  I couldn't sleep on a mattress that was covered in plastic to keep the cooties and bed bugs away.  She would like to stay one semester in the dorms to get the "full experience".   Perhaps I'm a bit too much of a princess but it's her choice and her experience.

Then we had lunch and sat through a couple of workshops dealing with her chosen major, she's currently thinking of pursuing a nursing degree, scholarships/financial aid and we wrapped up the day with a workshop on studying abroad.  I'm not sure why having her leave the country for a semester is an easier pill to swallow than moving into the dorms but for some reason it is.  Perhaps I can see the benefit of studying music for a semester in England or studying healthcare in Costa Rica for 4 months.  I do not see the benefit of living at Boise State when she has a nice, stable, secure home 20 minutes away.

I'm sure I'll warm up to the idea but I'd really  just prefer to keep her my little girl.

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com