Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Where has the summer gone?

My goodness the summer has almost passed us by. How on earth did that happen? When did the world get so busy?

We have had a really fun summer and I'm sad to see it end. Thankfully I we have one more trip planned before the girls have to go back to school.

So what did we do with our summer? I think 2 things truly stand out in my mind. The first is getting to meet Adam.



On July 15th, Adam flew in to Boise for our first meeting. It was really quite special. I haven't spoken much of Adam so openly because the feelings have been tender but he is my brother. He is 2 years younger than me. We have been in contact on the internet and via telephone for about a year and half and so it was time that we meet in person. He had some leave time and took a few days to come here. I'm so thankful that he did.

Before our meeting I didn't think it would be a big deal but the closer it got to his visit the more nervous I became. On the day that he flew in I was a such a ball of nerves. He texted me when he landed and I was overjoyed! Finally! We had such a great time when he was here. The weather was beautiful and we (JJ, Adam and I) have a lot in common. We went out to dinner at the Boise Fry Company. It was really good food but their location is a bit lacking. We spent the rest of the evening just visiting.

The next day we set out for Bogus Basin. Adam said that he really missed the mountains and there is disc golf course up there. Adam is pretty big into disc golf and we'd never played. He packed enough discs for us to all play and off we went. We stopped by Blimpie and grabbed some lunch to eat in the car and off we went. It's a bit of a drive from Kuna to Bogus but it was really enjoyable. We laughed and talked and took pictures and ended up getting lost. We couldn't find the disc golf course so we ended up heading back to the valley.

Lindsay has always had a liking for the Old Idaho State Pennetenary (just like her mom) and really wanted to take Adam there. It's an experience for sure, albeit a bit creepy. Or a lot creepy. We walked through the buildings and the grounds. I think the strangest part of the Penn is the old solitary confinement cells. Yikes! There is such a dark feeling there. There is also a military weapons display and JJ and Adam seemed to really enjoy it. What better way for manly bonding that oogling over guns and such.

After the Penn we were all pretty tired so we stopped at Wendy's and grabbed a frosty and headed home for a rest. The day was full but we weren't done yet. After we rested a bit we picked up a pizza and busted out the Killer Bunnies. I'm glad that Adam likes to play games because we love, Love, LOVE games in our family, especially Killer Bunnies.

After it cooled off, we took the dogs for a walk and visited some more.

On Sunday we had church but I only went for sacrament meeting (or most of it). I didn't want to miss out on what little time we had. We spend the rest of the day playing Killer Bunnies - I think Adam is hooked! After we played for a wile we borrowed Kendra's bike and we all went for a bike ride! It was fun to show off our little town and later in the evening we finally got to play disc golf. We went to Ann Morrison park. There's so much of the park that I'd never seen. I didn't know that there was a cute little stream on the south side, just below the bench. We played a few holes (if that's what they're called) but the girls didn't seem to care much for the game. JJ and I aren't very good so we had to throw 10 times for Adam's one. It was crazy. We walked over to Kathryn Alberton park (the most beautiful park in Boise) and saw a couple of fawns. They were so cute! After we got home, as if our day wasn't full enough we took the dogs for another walk. The weather couldn't have been more perfect if we ordered it. We were all to tired but we just wanted to take every advantage of the short visit.


One Monday JJ had to go back to work and I had some errands to run but Adam was a good sport and tagged along without complaint. We met up with JJ for lunch at Tucano's - and despite going for lunch we were so stuffed we could barely move. We did a little shopping after lunch and had a great time at the DI. The girls and I always play this little game when we are there. We try to find the nastiest, ugliest outfit possible. We were laughing so hard and being so roudy that I cannot believe that we didn't get kicked out. It was fun and I totally won!

It was so hard to say goodbye on Tuesday and I was really sad to see him go back to Texas. We had such a good visit and I think that we have a wonderful connection. Adam was wonderful with the girls and he had a lot in common with JJ. That makes me so happy. I think that this is the beginning of a great relationship. I'm very happy to have another sibling and feel blessed to add him into our family. We love you Adam!

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com