The second most amazing thing I did this summer was accompany our ward's youth on a pioneer trek at Sixth Crossing and Martin's Cove in Wyoming.
On Monday, July 25th we met at the church at 5am and loaded a bus bound for Wyoming. I cannot lie, I was not excited about this bus trip. I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to driving and I would have preferred to drive myself.
A couple of the girls in the ward were asked to keep a history of our trip. I will add that as soon as I get a copy. They did a great job compiling the week.
I spent a lot of my time on the trails at the back of the back. I was just not strong enough physically to keep up with the teenage boys. I was okay with being in the back. It gave me lots of time to ponder and reflect. I'd been feeling a little confused about some things and the quiet time away from the busy, busy world did my soul wonders. I learned a lot about myself on this trip. Most importantly I learned that the world is about much more than me. Sounds silly but I tend to get wrapped up in how hard things can be, or how much time I don't have, etc. Life truly is what you make it. I'm going to make it better.
At times when the trail would get really hard I just wanted to stop and give up but just like the early saints I kept putting one foot in front of the other in front of the other and I did it. I made it the whole way. At times I wasn't sure I would. At times I just wanted them to turn back with a wagon and put me in it. I wanted the comforts of home and I wanted my family.
On our second day of trek we were at Martin's Cove and Sierra was sick so Cheryl stayed behind with her. We were the two 'single' sisters on the trip and we were each other's cheerleader. When I was up, she was down and visa versa. It was really hard to leave her behind while I forged on ahead with the rest of the group. In a way it was like some of the pioneers having to leave their loved ones behind, although I knew that I would see her later that evening. I missed her. So as I was walking, watching my feet, feeling hot, a little lonely and couldnt' help but liken myself to that single woman along the trail. Perhaps she was a widow, perhaps she had started out with a family but lost them along the way. Perhaps she was a young single sister without the support of her family as she joined the church and made her way West. I realized, step by step, that there is no way that the church is not true. There is no other explanation for that many people to sacrifice so fully for their religious beliefs and to obtain their temple blessings. They truly were pioneers.
It was quite the experience and I'm glad that I got to share it with Sage. She was assigned to a different family than I was but I still got to see her each day. I'm thankful that I got to see her growth on this trip as well. I'm so proud of her and the wonderful young lady that she has become. I'm so thankful that I have my family and that we are sealed eternally. What a great blessing it is! What a comfort we have in the gospel. I'm grateful everyday!
Spring in Idaho
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment